Getting a start in the solar PV industry

Home Forums General Solar Discussion Getting a start in the solar PV industry

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gus Griffin 1 month ago.

• Author

I am looking for a way to get involved (i.e. get a job) in the solar PV industry. I’m having trouble finding jobs to apply for because although I have a B.Science(physics) with plenty of experience in electronics and a research project in novel solar cells I am neither an engineer nor and electrician. I was working on a doctorate but decided to discontinue that and am now employed as a delivery driver while looking for a job. All of the solar jobs I have seen require either an engineering qualification or an electrician’s license.

I have been thinking about getting the CEC design-only accreditation. Can I get a job with an installer with just that accreditation? What sort of people do installers employ? Are they only looking for electricians? Would it be worth doing a masters of electrical engineering?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gus Griffin

Hi Glen,

It’s disappointing to see that this forum hasn’t developed enough to attract the people who could have answered your questions.

In the meantime, have you found out what you wanted to know elsewhere? Are you making progress?

If you’re not making as much progress as you’d like – or would like to have more options to choose from – let me know. I can probably suggest other places you could ask your questions to better effect.

I’ve helped a lot of young people clarify what they really want to do over the past 40 years. That’s the really hard part of jobhunting. Once you’ve got that clear (at the heart level), the rest is usually straightforward.

Cheers, Gus

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.