• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
One Step Off The Grid

One Step Off The Grid

Solar, storage and distributed energy news

  • Solar
  • Battery/Storage
  • Off-Grid
  • Efficiency
  • Software
  • Podcasts
  • Tariffs
  • Electric Vehicles
  • Electrification

Solar and battery "pod" to power a north Queensland farm, in govt-backed trial

November 19, 2018 by Sophie Vorrath 8 Comments

Port of Townsville Chief Financial Officer David Sibley, MITEZ's David Fuelcal and Ergon Energy's Mark Biffanti, Photo: Budd Photography.

Port of Townsville Chief Financial Officer David Sibley, MITEZ’s David Fuelcal and Ergon Energy’s Mark Biffanti, Photo: Budd Photography.

A Belgian-made renewable power “pod” combining solar, battery storage and a generator will be installed on a farm in north-west Queensland, as part of a state and local government-backed bid to offer more reliable and affordable electricity for rural properties.
The Intech Energy Container arrived at Port of Townsville last week, as the centre-piece of a one-year, $100,000 trial backed by the Queensland government, McKinlay Shire Council, and MITEZ – a regional development organisation covering seven local government areas in the state’s north.
The pod will supply a yet-to-be selected McKinlay Shire grazier with an off-grid renewable energy supply and in conjunction with Ergon Energy, measure the benefits, comparing cost and reliability of supply to that offered by standard Single Wire Earth Return (SWER) network.
“SWER lines span hundreds of properties across North West Queensland that could benefit from this independent power source,” said McKinlay Shire Council Mayor Belinda Murphy.
It could also benefit the network, too, which in McKinley Shire alone oversees 698km of Single Wire Earth Return lines, linking 154 customers.
According to a North Queensland Register report in March, sustained interruption times have averaged 2.45 hours over the past five years, with Ergon Energy set to invest $1.46 million on the Julia Creek network over the next three years, while also looking at alternative options.
Murphy said another focus of the trial was to test if the European designed pods could withstand the climate conditions of the Queensland outback.
Council said a total of 26 property holders had applied to trail the pod at their property, with the recipient to be awarded by public ballot at Julia Creek in December, and Ergon to advise on site suitability and conduct onsite energy audits.
During the course of the one-year trial, any other interested parties will be able to view the system by appointment through McKinlay Shire Council.
“This is an innovative and collaborative trial to look to the future potential of delivering power to our remote properties with improved reliability and reduction in cost using new technology,” said Glen Graham, the CEO of MITEZ, which awarded a $55,000 grant to the project.
“This project is a fantastic example of the innovative ideas getting off the ground thanks to the Queensland government’s Remote Area Board fund,” he said.
“This is exactly the type of activity we need to see in regional areas to grow economic diversity and create jobs.”

Sophie Vorrath
Sophie Vorrath

Sophie is editor of One Step Off The Grid and editor of its sister site, Renew Economy. Sophie has been writing about clean energy for more than a decade.

Filed Under: Battery/Storage, Solar

Primary Sidebar

Sign up for our weekly newsletter

Emissions Counter

Renew Economy

RSS Energy News from Renew Economy

  • Australia’s biggest publicly owned wind farm gets federal green tick to go ahead in Queensland
  • Energy Insiders Podcast: How industry, AI and data centres are reshaping demand
  • Australian home battery upstart banks “strategic investment” towards manufacturing plans
  • Can all solar homes become smart energy hubs? On paper – absolutely! IRL, a few hurdles remain
  • Plan for Australia’s biggest solar-battery hybrid, with eight hours storage, get federal green tick

RSS Electric Vehicle News from The Driven

  • Hyundai Elexio scores 5 stars for safety, despite risk to pedestrians from SUVs
  • Polestar details plan for its next four EV model launches
  • Tesla cars with FSD Supervised have officially driven 13 billion kilometres
  • Reader Question: In the future, will we see battery upgrades for current model BEVs?
  • Tesla rival Xpeng shows off its autonomous driving chops with real-world demo

Press Releases

  • Huge luxury Saudi resort goes 100pct renewables with one of world’s biggest batteries
  • How solar + storage can be a game-changer for people with disabilities

Footer

Technologies

  • Solar
  • Battery/Storage
  • Electric Vehicles
  • Energy Efficiency
  • Software/Gadgets
  • Other Renewables
  • Policy
  • Tariffs
  • Contact
  • Advertise with us
  • About One Step Off The Grid
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2026 · OneStep Genesis on Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in