• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
One Step Off The Grid

One Step Off The Grid

Solar, storage and distributed energy news

  • Solar
  • Battery/Storage
  • Off-Grid
  • Efficiency
  • Software
  • Podcasts
  • Tariffs
  • Electric Vehicles
  • Electrification

“Please act quickly:” ACCC issues fresh recall for ‘dangerous’ batteries

November 21, 2022 by Sophie Vorrath Leave a Comment

Thousands of faulty home batteries remain installed in Australian homes, despite an ongoing nation-wide recall, a handful of reported incidents, and repeated warnings of fire risk.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission said on Monday it is in the process of directly contacting thousands of households it believes to have “dangerous LG solar batteries,” as part of the ongoing recall effort.

The ACCC says the batteries, which may be branded LG, SolaX, Opal, Redback, Eguana, or VARTA, can overheat and catch fire, causing property damage and injuries.

“Unfortunately, since October 2019 there have been nine reported incidents involving these types of batteries in Australia resulting in property damage and one injury,” the notice says.

“We do not want to see any more incidents or injuries.”

Battery overheating problem grows

Originally, around 7,200 LG home batteries were recalled by the ACCC in Australia in March 2021, following a “voluntary” recall that itself had followed reports of “thermal events” in the US.

The ACCC then reissued the recall just over a year later, broadening the batteries involved to include the brand names SolaX Power or Opal and warning that nearly 6,500 faulty batteries were yet to be replaced.

In its update this week, the ACCC said about 2,900 batteries have been replaced or removed from consumers’ properties, while another 1,400 have been switched off or had their maximum charge capacity reduced.

But the notice says LG and SolaX are still trying to trace around 3,000 recalled batteries. Further, it notes that LG has advised the ACCC that it has identified about 10,000 additional batteries “at risk of overheating.”

To address the latter problem, the ACCC says LG proposes to install diagnostic software to identify and shut down dangerous batteries, which will then be replaced for free – a solution currently being assessed by electrical safety regulators.

“We remain very concerned”

“This recall has been updated twice to include new models, affected systems and dates of manufacture, so even if your battery was not recalled previously, you must check your battery’s serial number(link is external) again,” says ACCC deputy chair Delia Rickard.

“We remain very concerned about the fire risks these faulty batteries pose, so please act quickly.”

As One Step Off The Grid reported in December of 2020, the South Korea-based company’s North American division issued a recall for the affected batteries in the US in November of that year.

The then-named LG Chem said at the time that it had received five reports of thermal events in the US causing “limited property damage,” but no reported injuries, and had undertaken the voluntary recall as part of a commitment to product safety and “highest quality and service” to customers.

In its notice this week, the ACCC advises consumers to turn affected batteries off, keep them off and contact the manufacturer for a free replacement or a refund.

It says LG will provide financial compensation to consumers who have higher electricity bills as a result of not being able to use their battery as expected.

Sophie Vorrath
Sophie Vorrath

Sophie is editor of One Step Off The Grid and editor of its sister site, Renew Economy. Sophie has been writing about clean energy for more than a decade.

Filed Under: Battery/Storage, News

Primary Sidebar

Sign up for our weekly newsletter

Emissions Counter

Renew Economy

RSS Energy News from Renew Economy

  • Australia’s biggest energy users are being lined up to break the wind drought in its most coal dependent state
  • The $2.5 billion wind project getting ready for take-off, 23 years after farmer landholders were first approached
  • One of Australia’s biggest wind projects seeks green light to add solar and battery
  • What federal and state rebate changes mean for C&I solar and batteries – in 8 charts
  • Safeguard will short-change climate targets, study says, rules should be tougher on fossil fuels

RSS Electric Vehicle News from The Driven

  • World’s biggest battery maker says it has hits carbon neutrality across its operations, targets supply chain next
  • Zeekr reveals key details of its next EV for Australian market, the 7GT electric wagon, as sales top 10,000
  • UK pricing and specs hint at why the Hyundai Ioniq 3 could be a game-changer for Australian EV market
  • Ferrari’s first Luce electric vehicle sells to US billionaire for $A56 million, with funds going to charity
  • Mini Aceman John Cooper Works review: The punchy small electric SUV with Go-Kart mode

Press Releases

  • Huge luxury Saudi resort goes 100pct renewables with one of world’s biggest batteries
  • How solar + storage can be a game-changer for people with disabilities

Footer

Technologies

  • Solar
  • Battery/Storage
  • Electric Vehicles
  • Energy Efficiency
  • Software/Gadgets
  • Other Renewables
  • Policy
  • Tariffs
  • Contact
  • Advertise with us
  • About One Step Off The Grid
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2026 · OneStep Genesis on Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in